Tangerine oil, derived from the peel of tangerines (Citrus reticulata), is known for its citrusy aroma and potential therapeutic properties. People love Tangerine oil for its pleasant aroma, potential skincare benefits, and for use in aromatherapy with a citrusy aroma often described as uplifting and refreshing.
Here are some interesting facts about Tangerine oil:
- Antioxidant Properties: Tangerine oil contains antioxidants such as limonene, which may help protect the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. This can contribute to anti-aging effects and overall skin health.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Limonene, one of the major components in tangerine oil, has been studied for its anti-inflammatory effects. This property may contribute to soothing irritated skin and reducing inflammation.
- Antimicrobial Activity: Certain components of tangerine oil, including limonene and gamma-terpinene, exhibit antimicrobial properties. This could make tangerine oil a potential ingredient in topical formulations for promoting skin hygiene.
- Collagen Stimulation: Tangerine oil may stimulate the production of collagen in the skin. Collagen is a structural protein that contributes to the skin’s firmness and elasticity, and its synthesis can be beneficial for maintaining a youthful appearance.
- Brightening Effects: The presence of limonene in tangerine oil is associated with skin-brightening effects. This may help in reducing the appearance of dark spots and promoting a more even skin tone.
- Cytotoxicity Against Cancer Cells: Some research has explored the potential cytotoxic effects of tangerine oil against certain cancer cells. While more studies are needed, this suggests that tangerine oil may have complex bioactive properties.
- Relaxation and Mood Enhancement: In aromatherapy, the aroma of tangerine oil is often associated with relaxation and mood enhancement. Applying tangerine oil topically may provide a sensory experience that contributes to overall well-being.
- Potential for Pain Relief: Certain compounds in tangerine oil, such as linalool, exhibit analgesic properties. This may make tangerine oil a candidate for topical application to alleviate minor pains and discomfort.
Tangerine oil is commonly found in
- Body washes and sprays: Tangerine oil is found in various body washes or shower gels designed to cleanse and moisturize the skin. It is a natural ingredient known to reduce stress and anxiety and leave the skin feeling revitalized and moisturized.
- Soaps: Some bar soaps, especially those marketed as moisturizing or natural, contain tangerine oil for its skin-nourishing properties.
- Bath bombs: Tangerine oil has a sweet and citrusy fragrance that is both uplifting and refreshing, contributing to a sense of positivity, relaxation, and stress relief, creating a spa-like atmosphere.
- Lotions: Tangerine oil is also found in lotions for it’s antioxidant, skin brightening, and moisturizing properties
- Massage oils: The scent can help ease anxiety and create a more serene environment for a relaxing massage. It can also provide a nourishing and moisturizing effect on the skin in addition to the antioxidant properties of Tangerine oil.
You can find Tangerine essential oil in our ZEN essential oils blend developed by a board-certified holistic nurse to promote promote relaxation and calm while also benefiting your skin.
Tangerine oil, and Nurse’s Touch products, are not approved by FDA for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of any disease..